An offshore team offers several advantages for the companies we have discussed in this Wikipedia, but also challenges that need to be considered for proper management.
- Remote management: is something obvious, but is one of the main aspects to take into account. transmitting the company's values and setting a hierarchy can be complicated and can lead to organisational and management problems.
- Less team agility: dynamics to make decisions, test products or design new ones can be complicated when done online. In a face-to-face meeting ideas can flow more easily, so managers must make an effort to encourage participationfrom a distance with specific dynamics.
- Multicultural environment: it is also necessary to be aware that you may have to manage teams from different cultures. Culture has a direct impact on how we work and team managers need to be mindful about this when organising teams to avoid conflicts.
- Getting to know each other and having clear objectives: with offshore teams it can be difficult to find a point person for an issue. Therefore, it´s important to promote team knowledge and the functions of each person, so that they can work as a team and optimise time. It is also interesting to determine work standards and expectations, so that everyone is aware of the common strategy.
- Different time zones: another issue to have in mind is the use of different time zones. we are referring to asynchronous work, which we discussed in another article. The manager must find time slots for the hole team to coincide and, in case it isn't possible, he or she must encourage other spaces for working revelations to develop.
- Know the characteristics of each territory: offshore teams are governed by the company's rules, but also by those of their own territory. For example, regulations on working hours, rest periods, holidays, etc. must be taken into account.
- Information security issues: personnel managers must raise awareness and establish standards to ensure the security of information, both the company's and the workers' own. When working remotely, everything is done through computer equipment, hence the relevance of this point in team management.